Colorado Supreme Court

Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel

Promoting Professionalism. Protecting the Public.

Future Lawyers

To be admitted to practice law in Colorado, the requirements and procedures vary depending on whether you are a recent law school graduate, seasoned attorney, took the bar examination in another UBE state, or want to practice in Colorado on a temporary basis.

To become a fully-licensed attorney in Colorado, either by Colorado Bar Examination, UBE Score Transfer, or On-Motion, you must complete an application questionnaire and undergo a thorough Character and Fitness Investigation through the Office of Attorney Admissions. You must also have a recent MPRE score and attend the Practicing With Professionalism Course. Learn more about the Colorado Bar Examination, admission by UBE Score Transfer and On-Motion procedures. Application fees are non-refundable.

Colorado also permits temporary law practice through the following limited licenses and certifications issued by the Office of Attorney Registration:

Single Client
Pro Hac Vice
Foreign Legal Consultant
Judge Advocate (JAG)
Military Spouse Certification
Law Professor Certification
Practice Pending Admission
Law Student Practice
Pro Bono Certification

To practice under a limited license or certification, you must meet certain requirements and submit an abridged application. There is no MPRE requirement.

Learn more about the different rules governing admission.

Check the results of the most recent Colorado Bar Examination.

For documentation requests pertaining to a previously filed attorney admissions application, please click here.

For documentation requests pertaining to attorney registration and continuing judicial and legal education, please click here.