Colorado Supreme Court

Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel

Promoting Professionalism. Protecting the Public.

Filing a Complaint against an attorney  En Español

To file a complaint against an attorney, contact the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel by calling (303) 457-5800, or toll free (877) 888-1370.

Please do not file a complaint in writing before contacting the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel by telephone. You will be informed if written information is helpful in evaluating your complaint.

When you call the office with a complaint, you will be connected to the central intake division, which is the first step of the complaint process. A non-lawyer investigator in the central intake division will ask you questions about your complaint. The intake investigator may not provide legal advice or give you an opinion about your complaint. Rather, your complaint will be assigned for investigation by an attorney in the central intake division. All of the attorneys working in the central intake division have extensive experience in the practice of law.

Either the assigned attorney or a non-lawyer investigator will contact you about your complaint as soon as possible. Because of the number of complaints filed with the office, a delay of several days is possible.

It is important to understand that Attorney Regulation Counsel cannot review a judicial decision made by a magistrate or judge. Also, the attorney assigned to your complaint does not represent you and cannot assist you in your legal matter. The jurisdiction of Regulation Counsel is limited to enforcement of the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct.
When filing a complaint, please have the following information available:

When filing a complaint, please be aware that:

Note that The Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel does not handle complaints about judges, other than municipal court judges and magistrates.  Complaints about judges should be directed to the Colorado Commission on Judicial Discipline.

For more information on what to expect when filing a complaint, please visit our FAQs.